Humane Law Enforcement
REPORT ANIMAL CRUELTY ON OUR CONFIDENTIAL HOTLINE:
The mission of the Humane Law Enforcement Unit of the SPCA of Westchester is to protect the animals in Westchester County from cruelty and neglect through the aggressive and proactive enforcement of New York State Law and to educate citizens so that ignorance does not result in neglect. This includes organized animal cruelty such as dog fights, cock fights and puppy mills.
The SPCA of Westchester's Humane Law Enforcement Officers are certified NYS Peace Officers given "full Police power" through the NYS Criminal Procedure Law and Agriculture and Markets Law. These officers are empowered to enforce all the laws of New York State and specifically those relating to animal cruelty. They are not animal control officers. They are trained in accordance with the requirements as set forth by the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services.
Officers of the SPCA participate in Humane Education classes in schools throughout the county, educating young people about animal cruelty, neglect. Officers are also available to make presentations to groups, schools, etc. on a variety of topics. Should your group or school wish to schedule a presentation, please call the SPCA of Westchester.
Donations to help fund this much needed service are gratefully accepted. Help us to help abused and abandoned animals. Your contribution will make it possible for our HLE Unit to protect countless animals from harm. Rising costs associated in providing these "police services" makes it more important than ever that concerned individuals, groups and businesses show their support.
Recent SPCA HLE Coverage in the Media
- The Daily Voice-Yonkers Woman Arrested for Starving Dog-November 2016
- The Daily Voice-Yonkers Man Arrested for Emaciated Dog-October 2016
- The Patch-Mount Vernon Man Arrested for Animal Cruelty-8 Dogs-August 2016
- The Patch-Yonkers Man Arrested after Starving Pets Left in Condemned Building-July 2016
- The Journal News-Yonkers Woman Arrested After Deadly Dog Fight-January 2016
- The Journal News-Yonkers Man Charged with Abusing 2 Pitbulls-October 2015
- NBC News-10 Snakes Seized from Peekskill Home-September 2015
- News12 Westchester-Woman Charged with Dog Abandonment and Abuse-July 2015
- The Patch-Over 35 Reptiles Seized from home in Port Chester-July 2015
- Examiner-Buchanan Man Arrested for Animal Cruelty of 7 Pit Bulls-June 2015
- NBC News-Man Arrested for Animal Cruelty in Yonkers Cat Case-November 2014
- CBS News-Dead Cats Found Hanging in Tree, Yonkers-April 2014
- ABC News-Westie Mix Abandoned on Side of the Road, Bronxville-April 2014
- The Journal News-Yonkers Woman Charged with Animal Cruelty-April 2014
- ABC News-Beaten Puppy Recovering at SPCA of Westchester-February 2014